Search This Blog

#389 North Carolina Ambrotype with NC Local Buttons! - 1/16 plate




#389  North Carolina Ambrotype with NC Local Buttons! - 1/16 plate.

Outstanding image: very nice clarity and contrast; and very nice content … his buttons are clear enough to see the North Carolina State Seal local buttons. This is the small 1/16 plate in a very nice thermoplastic case. Contrast is very nice....like the 2nd and 3rd photo, not the first. An image to compliment any collection.

$1,150 shipped

 

#388 Georgia Volunteer Tintype 1/9 plate


 #388  Georgia Volunteer Tintype 1/9 plate

Grey uniform with dark trim from LaGrange, Georgia. Acquired from a longtime southern collector out of North Carolina. Possibly Cobbs Legion or the 10th GA by associated with other items purchased by the collector. Full case; on the darker side.

$550 shipped

#387 16th Maine, Company A 1/9 plate tintype

#387  16th Maine, Company A 1/9 plate tintype

Super clear image ’16’ and ‘A’ on kepi; behind image is a Bangor Maine photograper’s card. Hard Fighting Regiment; 57% fatality rate - South Mt. Antietam Fredericksburg Chancellorsville Gettysburg Wilderness Spotsylvania Cold Harbor Petersburg Five Forks. Full case; super clear and detail - my photo doesn't do it justise; on the darker side.

$425 shipped

#386 North Carolina Sergeant Ambrotype 1/6 plate

#386  North Carolina Sergeant Ambrotype 1/6 plate

North Carolina Sergeant Ambrotype 1/6 plate in 1861 State of North Carolina regulation sack coat; note watch chain/key tingling from neck. Photograph background associated with North Carolina photographer, note wood trim and small sail boat and castle. Acquired from an authority in North Carolina images. Full cased 1/6 plate.

$1,150 shipped


#385 North Carolina Tintype 1/6 plate


 #385  North Carolina Tintype 1/6 plate

Acquired from a longtime southern collector out of North Carolina. Imaged surfaced from an Eastern North Carolina estate. Half cased 1/6 plate. On the dark side with halo. 

$525 shipped

#383 Rare-Rare-Rare Virginia Steel & Johnson Button Dug; Albert VA17; Tice VA252A2; 23mm





#383  Rare-Rare-Rare Virginia Steel & Johnson Button Dug; Albert VA17; Tice VA252A2; large 23mm size; 3 piece; backmark STEELE & JOHNSON rmdc. You never see this button with this right backmark!  Solid button with gold gilt in the right places; no repairs. Push to face and back; stand-up shank. This is the exceedingly rare Civil War period VA17 ! I’ve only seen one other in decades.

$750 shipped; PayPal (friends & family), check or money order

#380 Georgia LOCAL Button Dug; Albert GA11A; Tice GA230A; 21mm



#380  Georgia LOCAL Button Dug; Albert GA11A; Tice GA230A; 21mm; blank backmark. Solid button with trace gold in the right places; shank bent flat; no pushes or repairs. Made during the war in the south, a “local”.

Recovery location - Braddock Road "Measles Camp Road" Virginia; acquired directly from the digger. 

$265 shipped; PayPal (friends & family), check or money order

#379 Topographical Engineers Button Non-dug; Albert TE4B; Tice TE215; 23m


#379  Topographical Engineers Button Non-dug; Albert TE4B; Tice TE215; 23m; backmark SCOVILL MF’G CO/WATERBURY dm. Solid non-dug condition with push on shield and area; shank bent ever so slightly. Topographical Engineers were absorbed into the Corps of Engineers in 1863; this is a wartime button.

$255 shipped; PayPal (friends & family), check or money order

 

#377 Gettysburg Cane with Imbedded Bullet & Picket’s Charge Peep Hole





 #377 Gettysburg Cane with Imbedded Bullet & Picket’s Charge Peep Hole

When it comes to Gettysburg canes this is very nice and not often seen. Imbedded bullet at top and Picket’s Charge view through peep hole; decorated with seven corps badges. In untouched condition. Overall length is 36 inches and at its widest point 1 3/8 inches in diameter.

$1,250 shipped; PayPal (friends & family), check or money order

#376 Scare 44th Mass NEG Button Group – Frank G. Webster






 #376  Scare 44th Mass NEG Button Group – Frank G. Webster

Coat size; no pushes, dents or dings; made into pin with early style T-pin; high profile button.

44th Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry or Second New England Guard. The unit formed after Lincoln’s call for nine month volunteers on August 4, 1861.

Tice MS266A1

Identified to Frank G. Webster, related items included: his calling card; button box marked #14; two copies of ‘Arms and the Man’ proclamation ….member of Company G, 44th Regiment MVM…comrade Frank G. Webster…’; and Memorial book – General Thomas G. Steven, December 7, 1905 of the 44th and 24th MVM. 

$395 shipped; PayPal (friends & family), check or money order

#375 Exceptional South Carolina Dug Button



 #375  Exceptional South Carolina Dug Button

 South Carolina Button with gold gilt in all the right places. Back mark ‘Horstmann & Allien NY’. Coat size; no pushes, dents or dings; straight stand-up shank.

Tice SC258A1 and Albert SC14

$295 shipped; PayPal (friends & family), check or money order

#374 Woodward Gettysburg Engraved Shell Fragment




 

#374  Woodward Gettysburg Engraved Shell Fragment

 Woodward Gettysburg Engraved US/CS 3 inch Shell Fragment acquired from prominent Gettysburg dealer in Civil War relics. Exceptionally smooth condition indicating a very early battlefield pick-up. Engraved “Gettysburg 1863”. Original  bore hole on back of fragment for mounting on desk set; approximately 4” x 2.5”.  

$750 shipped; PayPal (friends & family), check or money order

#373 Danner Museum Whitworth Bolt




 #373  Danner Museum Whitworth Bolt

Acquired in 2020 by a prominent Gettysburg dealer in Civil War relics from a Connecticut estate. A very desirable Danner Museum Whitworth Bolt with the distinct numbering, this one “18”. Scarce example of an early Gettysburg battlefield relic with provenance. The Danner Museum was the first to display memorabilia from the Battle of Gettysburg, in operation from 1860s -1890s. His museum was unique in that visitors could actually purchase the displayed objects as souvenirs. Danner painted inventory numbers on his displayed items, visible in the image cabinet card (NOT included), so he could easily replace items as they were sold.

Bottom photograph is the  Connecticut estate group on display at the October 2020 Gettysburg Show.  See this Whitworth shell back row. Also see #363 Hotchkiss from the same collection. 

$3,995 shipped; PayPal (friends & family), check or money order

#372 Sherfy Farm Danner 12 Pounder Solid Shot; possibly CS.






 #372  Sherfy Farm Danner 12 Pounder Solid Shot; possibly CS. Fresh from the Philadelphia GAR Museum and Library. The recent sale of a portion of the museum contents included a substantial number of Danner shells. This particular one is accompanied with the unique style Danner wood base. At some point in the museum’s history this and the other Danner bases were painted black to be similar to other wood bases made for museum shell display. I was able to painstakingly remove the black paint from the front of the base down to the original Danner "Shirfie’s". The Sherfy Farm was located on the Second Day's Fight resulting from Sickles’ surge to high ground which involved the Peach Orchard or also known as Sherfy’s Orchard. Danner or his associate simply misspelled Sherfy’s for some reason, thus “Shirfie’s. Letters fad moving to the end of “Shirfie’s”. See the image of another Sherfy’s shell/base for letter comparison purposes. Both the wooden base and shell have the GAR museum inventory number 86.1.10; and the base has a paper GAR museum tag "104". 

MOLLUS/GAR Museum. The museum originated with the Military Order of the Loyal Legion of the United States (MOLLUS), a fraternal association for veteran officers. The museum doors closed in 2008 with the collection being transferred to the Gettysburg Foundation. A portion of the collection was sold in 2021 with the proceeds to benefit the preservation of the remaining relics.

In 1886, several Companions of MOLLUS began the formation of a Civil War Library and Museum to serve as a repository for their records, relics, memorabilia, souvenirs, artifacts and awards. A charter and Certificate of Incorporation were granted on May 2, 1888 for the War Library and Museum of the Military Order of the Loyal Legion of the United States. Companion Rutherford B. Hayes, 19th President of the United States, was its first President. The collection was kept in various locations in Philadelphia until a house was purchased at 1805 Pine Street in 1922 to house the collection and to serve as the MOLLUS Headquarters.

$1,695 shipped; PayPal (friends & family), check or money order

#371 Gettysburg "Railroad Cut" Danner Hotchkiss Shell






 #371  Gettysburg "Railroad Cut" Danner Hotchkiss Shell. Fresh from the Philadelphia GAR Museum and Library. The recent sale of a portion of the museum contents included a substantial number of Danner shells. This particular one is accompanied with the unique style Danner wood base and Danner numbered shell. At some point in the museum’s history this and the other Danner bases were painted black to be similar to wood bases made for museum shell display. The original Danner "Railroad Cut" lettering is still visible – raised letters. Also the shell is marked with the distinctive Danner painted number “10”. Shell is complete with both sections (upper/lower); sabot with cannon barrel rifling marks; and brass fuse holder. Portion of shell head blown-out exposing the fuse holder and canister balls inside.

 

Other markings: both the wooden base and shell have the GAR museum inventory number 86.1.37; a paper GAR museum tag "139" on the wood base; on the bottom of the wood base is a small penciled (?) “10”; and shell has GAR Museum black painted “131” about one inch in height.

 

Danner shell sets with both the Danner marked wood base and Danner numbered shell are not available often, vs. a marked base and unnumbered shell, or a numbered shell and no base. Together since the beginning.

 

The "Railroad Cut" was located on the First Day's Field where the Confederates took heavy casualties, and also prisoners were taken. There are not as many 1st Day's Danner relics compared to the 2nd and 3rd Days'.

MOLLUS/GAR Museum. The museum originated with the Military Order of the Loyal Legion of the United States (MOLLUS), a fraternal association for veteran officers. The museum doors closed in 2008 with the collection being transferred to the Gettysburg Foundation. A portion of the collection was sold in 2021 with the proceeds to benefit the preservation of the remaining relics.

In 1886, several Companions of MOLLUS began the formation of a Civil War Library and Museum to serve as a repository for their records, relics, memorabilia, souvenirs, artifacts and awards. A charter and Certificate of Incorporation were granted on May 2, 1888 for the War Library and Museum of the Military Order of the Loyal Legion of the United States. Companion Rutherford B. Hayes, 19th President of the United States, was its first President. The collection was kept in various locations in Philadelphia until a house was purchased at 1805 Pine Street in 1922 to house the collection and to serve as the MOLLUS Headquarters.

$2,495 shipped; PayPal (friends & family), check or money order

#369 HOLD Gettysburg "Railroad Cut" Danner Hotchkiss Shell






#369  Gettysburg "Railroad Cut" Danner Hotchkiss Shell.    Fresh from the Philadelphia GAR Museum and Library. The recent sale of a portion of the museum contents included a substantial number of Danner shells. This particular one is accompanied with the unique style Danner wood base. At some point in the museum’s history this and the other Danner bases were painted black to be similar to other wood bases (these other bases were not Danner bases) made for the museum's shell display. I was able to painstakingly removed the black paint from the front of the base down to the original Danner "Railroad Cut". The "Railroad Cut" was located on the First Day's Field where the Confederates took heavy casualties, and prisoners were also taken. There are not as many 1st Day's Danner relics compared to the 2nd and 3rd Days. Both the wooden base and shell have the GAR museum inventory number 86.1.23; also remnants of a paper GAR museum tag "2". Appears to be "10" in black paint on the shell, like various numbers on the other shells from the GAR museum. Shell is in nice solid condition. 

MOLLUS/GAR Museum. The museum originated with the Military Order of the Loyal Legion of the United States (MOLLUS), a fraternal association for veteran officers. The museum doors closed in 2008 with the collection being transferred to the Gettysburg Foundation. A portion of the collection was sold in 2021 with the proceeds to benefit the preservation of the remaining relics.

In 1886, several Companions of MOLLUS began the formation of a Civil War Library and Museum to serve as a repository for their records, relics, memorabilia, souvenirs, artifacts and awards. A charter and Certificate of Incorporation were granted on May 2, 1888 for the War Library and Museum of the Military Order of the Loyal Legion of the United States. Companion Rutherford B. Hayes, 19th President of the United States, was its first President. The collection was kept in various locations in Philadelphia until a house was purchased at 1805 Pine Street in 1922 to house the collection and to serve as the MOLLUS Headquarters.

HOLD; PayPal (friends & family), check or money order

#368 Gettysburg ‘CULP’S HILL 1863’ ‘Warlog’



#368  Gettysburg ‘CULP’S HILL 1863’ ‘Warlog’. Fresh from the Philadelphia GAR Museum and Library. A sawed cross-section of tree with an embedded bullet in untouched relic condition; scarring of tree visible in the area of the bullet. Large relic, at its widest 9 ½ inches and 2 inches thick. This section includes the original brass plague screwed to its face ‘CULP’S HILL 1863’. Believe the multiple drilled holes in the face were for early display reasons, possibly an assortment of flags. A rare and historical relic, along with over an 100 year sheltered provenance. I visited this museum in the 1990s … it was an absolute time capsule to history and the veterans that serviced.

MOLLUS/GAR Museum. The museum originated with the Military Order of the Loyal Legion of the United States (MOLLUS), a fraternal association for veteran officers. The museum doors closed in 2008 with the collection being transferred to the Gettysburg Foundation. A portion of the collection was sold in 2021 with the proceeds to benefit the preservation of the remaining relics.

In 1886, several Companions of MOLLUS began the formation of a Civil War Library and Museum to serve as a repository for their records, relics, memorabilia, souvenirs, artifacts and awards. A charter and Certificate of Incorporation were granted on May 2, 1888 for the War Library and Museum of the Military Order of the Loyal Legion of the United States. Companion Rutherford B. Hayes, 19th President of the United States, was its first President. The collection was kept in various locations in Philadelphia until a house was purchased at 1805 Pine Street in 1922 to house the collection and to serve as the MOLLUS Headquarters.

$1,295 shipped; PayPal (friends & family), check or money order